The P.A.L.M. was first established in 1944 and advertised itself as the "Palm Motor Court.” In 1966, a very distinctive palm-shaped sign was erected exclaiming "Palm Motel.” In the late 90’s the Palm Motel experienced an extraordinary makeover. After extensive renovations to the existing rooms including the addition of three new luxurious cottages and Ashland’s only heated saltwater pool and beautiful cabanas, came the new name of Palm Cottages. It was no longer the Motor Court or Motel it once was! So, with all these changes over the years, why keep the "Palm Motel" sign? In 2002, a community survey was taken on whether the sign should be taken down. Thousands of signatures revealed the community had grown attached to this historic sign which is now protected and will remain for generations to come!
Peace and Love Matter. With three previous names we had an identity crisis in trying to preserve the name Palm with its new identity. In the end, we realized what remained consistent is “P.A.L.M.” We chose to give it the acronym for Peace And Love Matter because of everything that attracted us to this wonderful community.